Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Men

Our hostel attracts more men than women.  I'm not sure if this is a pattern seen across all backpackers or if it's Mendoza or if it's just our hostel.  All I know, is I am exposed to a wide variety of those from the Male Species: from 19 years old to 40 years old, from married to single, from reserved to wild dancers, from The Nice Guy to The Douchebag.  It's easy to get used to these considerate and genuine dudes.  They are engaging in conversation, open minded and easy to let you guard down around.  So, as the Guest Tides come and go, I find that I am guarded with these different groups of men-boys not according to their own merit or my specific intuition with these individuals, but according to the previous Tide.  This has caused me to have some rude surprises- both positive and negative.

They was an amusing mix of 5 guys with 5 quirky personalities from Australia.  The one common trait they all held was 100% genuineness.  They owned who they were and what they did.  They were fantastic at conversation and were curious about everyone they met.  Each one of them.  People wanted to share their stories with every one of the guys.  Somehow, the most important questions were asked to each person they sparked a conversation with.  The guys somehow intuitively knew what each person found most important.  They also made the most comedic comments without even realizing how amusingly quirky they were.  They really made up quite a traveling family.

              Carl partied the hardest.  He would consume almost everything put in front of him and consequently got in the most trouble.  He was a crazy dancer and quick to smile and laugh.  He put everyone around him at ease with his humor and positive look at life.  He would playfully make fun of people, putting down their guard and, consequently, easily making friends.  It was easy to be yourself around him.  Even with all of these friends and attention, he was still willing to get me a blanket when I needed.
              Mark meant everything he said.  He was usually the tallest in a crowd, but you would never know by his confident stature and altruistic smile. He related very well to people.  Sitting next to him, you know he was listening and watching you and quick to comment and relate.  You knew you mattered when you were with him. 
              Mike was the most inquisitive one.  He made sure his stories related to the people around him. He doesn't realize it, but his unadulterated social and caring personality will allow him to develop into an incredible teacher.  All he needs to do is put as much thought, effort and love into his work as he does to everyone around him.
              Joe saved my life.  He discovered that I was taking an anti-inflammatory instead of birthcontrol (a pharmacist in Cusco fucked up the medication).  I had been taking it for 8 days when he found out.  One of the most selfless individuals I have ever met, he walked with me to the pharmacy and listened to my honest story of why I moved abroad without judgement or interuption.  He made sure I got the correct prescription and we had a quite eventful grocery shopping experience.  I think he was the unintentially funniest out the group.  It seemed his perspective on life was just quite funny.
             And last, Jack who, after moving to Australia from China, was allowed to choose any "normal" name and chose Jack for Jackie Chen.  Hilarious.  He was so full of information (both useful and useless), it was as if it leaked out of him when given the chance.  He would debate with Joe for what seemed for hours, or simplify theories for the more simple-minded in the group (a.k.a. me).  He, like the others, was quick to smile and you really felt the pure warmth from it.  He wasn't the most touchy guy out the group, but when he hugged you, you knew it meant something very real.

These guys were quite a bunch.  From each one, I was told about some big blowout they had recently had with each other.  They all mentioned in some way that they probably wouldn't travel in that specific group again for various reasons.  I came to see them as a family that just spent a bit too much time together.  Without one, the group just wouldn't seem complete.  I'm not sure if I will ever experience such a group again.  I loved living amongst these noisy and messy guys for a fun few days.

Only a couple of days after these guys left, a group of Irish dudes I like to refer to as The Douchebags (as referenced earlier) arrived.  I welcomed them with the same enthusiasm I had for the previous group.  Nevertheless, they were snobby, rude and entirely incapable of having any kind of interesting conversation.  Let down.

The day The Douches left, an animated couple from the US came in.  I got along with them very easily and ended up chatting with the guy into the night, after everyone went to sleep.  We both really opened up and talked about things almost-perfect strangers don't talk about.  It was refreshing to connect with someone on such a level.  I left that conversation with that good empty feeling, like something I've been holding onto for a while was finally allowed to escape. Throughout their 3 days stay here, we spent a good amount of time together.  It's rare to find such people that "click" so easily.  I feel lucky each time this happens.

I am learning to really listen to my intuition and step back a bit when meeting new people.  It can get exhausting, the build up and let down that comes with the Tides.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for connecting with people! I've heard it said that "Good conversation is like sex for the soul". In some ways I envy the variety of people that you are able to meet and get to know. I wish you many many good people and wonderful conversations!

    ReplyDelete